Friday 16 April 2010

Feeling 'no' but saying 'yes' ...

I've been blogging for just over two years now, and anybody that has been on this journey with me will have heard me say what a nervous person I am ... on more than one occasion! During that time, I've had some great requests and offers, whether it was to start selling my own patterns, teach in this country or even to travel and teach. In previous years I have always let my nerves take over and have said 'Thanks, but sorry, I'm afraid I don't do that'. For whatever reason, I woke up at the beginning of 2010 and felt a little different and now here I am, only 4 months into the year and I'm selling tutorials, I'm signed up to teach and I've said 'yes' to just about every opportunity that has come along. One of these opportunities arose just a couple of weeks ago, when Mona Hair of 'The Jewelry Connection' contacted me out of the blue, to ask if I would be interested in doing a live internet interview. I can clearly remember that day; I was stood in my 'studio' (that also doubles as a spare bedroom, my husband's office and the ironing room) ironing my husband's work shirts and I saw the email come in, opened it, read it and nearly fainted. The biggest shock however, was that I said 'yes'. Mona has been marvellous and held my hand throughout the process and the live interview went out last Sunday.





A couple of minutes before we were due to go 'live' my knees were quite literally knocking, I felt a rising panic and I wanted to snatch off my headphones and run from the room.  Then I saw some familiar friendly names in the chat room and with that wonderful support, I relaxed and managed to get through the interview. It was a bit of a blow though, when I chatted to Mona afterwards and she broke the news to me that there had been a hiccup, it hadn't recorded and we would have to do it all again! We did a re-take last night (although this time without an audience) and I'm very relieved that it recorded successfully. It was a little strange running all through it again and so I think I left some bits out that I said before and I seem to have said enough 'errs' and 'erms' in one hour to warrant a place in the Guinness Book of Records! But anyway, I've done it and I survived, so I am going to continue embracing those opportunities and I hope that this gives other people the courage to do the same - if I can do this, anyone can!


If anyone would like to listen to me trying to answer Mona's questions and talking about the inspiration behind various pieces of work - then the new link is HERE.  Keep an eye on Mona's blog too as I know that she is keen to promote the work of independent artists and has lots of great guests lined up!


5 comments:

  1. Good for you Kerrie! You didn't seem nervous to me. I too am making 2010 the year to stop saying no. I have just started attending craft fairs (what a shock, customers don't bite and it's actually really nice to chat to them, lol) I am about to start a Folksy shop and next I am going to try my hand at writing up patterns. The thought is generally scarier than the doing ( I am hoping so anyway!) It's great to see you doing so well, you are a real inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerrie,
    Congratulations! I love your work, you are a real inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Kerrie! You don't sound nervy at all - and that, after all, is what it's all about! Really enjoyed listening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Kerrie! You don't sound nervy to me either. I'm exactly the same as you and have absolutely no confidence in myself so it's great to hear somebody similar can bite the bullet and be brave. I'll try to follow your example and try saying "yes" for a change :-)

    Keep up the good work

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great support everyone and good luck to everyone else who is fighting the dreaded nerves and going for it!

    Kerrie x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.